Party Wall Advisory
We are members of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and the Royal Institution of Chartred Surveyors (RICS).
Comprehensive Professional Indemnity.
Resolution provide service of party wall notices within 48 hours of instruction and provision of full and proper information. We work to short timescales as the often pressing nature of the award is one of the main concerns of building owners looking to undertake notifiable work under The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (the Act).
In simple terms, works are notifibale under The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 if they involve building against or astride the boundary (known as the line of junction), cutting into a party wall or party structure or involve excavation within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring (on a horizontal plane).
Most commonly the works involved would be removal of chimney breasts or party chimney works, loft conversions (such as rear dormers) and rear extensions.
We can advise on whether the act applies to your intended work.
If you have been served with a notice under The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 then it can cause a level of concern and it may not be clear as to what the next steps should be.
Resolution take Adjoining Owners through all necessary steps that need to be taken and will always act to protect an adjoining owners interests and the following will normally be advised:
- Assess the validity of the notices;
- Assess whether the Act applies;
- Assess the time-frames and your compliance;
- Assess the plans for the intended work;
- Assess structural calculations;
- Explain the intended works with the appointing owner;
- Assess the extent of such works and compliance with statutory regulation such as planning permission and building regulation as well as water board authority where proximity to sewers is a consideration;
- Undertake a photographic schedule of condition to record the condition of the property before the works and after the works. A detailed schedule of condition will give an owner piece of mind that any damage can be proven and the Building Owner held liable;
- A comprehensive award will be produced that will cover such matters, inter alia, as working hours, method statements in respect of access to your land, hoarding and scaffolding and the process and recourse if damage is caused;
- A copy of the award and schedule of condition will be provided to the Adjoining Owner;
- The surveyor will remain on hand should a contravention of the award occur during on-site works.
It is important for an Adjoining Owner to understand that in most cases its fees will be covered.